In our first round of PhD scholarships, SQA awarded $1.4 million in full and supplementary scholarships. The distribution of awards across the four partner Universities were:
- USYD: two full scholarships
- MQU: one full and five supplementary scholarships
- UTS: one full and nine supplementary scholarships
- UNSW: 16 supplementary scholarships.
SQA congratulates all scholarship awardees, who have already begun or will be commencing their research studies in the second half of 2020. The four full scholarship holders and details of their research studies are:
- Juliette Soule (Domestic), Faculty of Science, Department of Physics, USYD; Primary supervisor: Prof. Stephen Bartlett; Research thesis: Bosonic error correction in topological quantum systems.
- Felix Thomsen (International), Faculty of Science, Department of Physics, USYD; Primary supervisor: Prof. Stephen Bartlett; Research thesis: Quantum Error Correction Methods for Realistic Noise.
- Raji B Nair (International), Faculty of Science and Engineering, Department of Physics and Astronomy, MQU; Primary supervisor: A/Prof. Thomas Volz; Research thesis: Quantum polaritonics.
- Angsar Manutaly (Domestic), Faculty of Science, Department of Mathematical and Physical Sciences, UTS; Primary supervisor: Dr Nathan Langford; Research thesis: Studying scale-dependent complexity in Digital Quantum Simulations in Circuit QED.
The second round of SQA PhD scholarships has now closed and preparations have begun to assess applications. There will be a third round later in the year for applicants to commence research studies in the first half of 2021. See more information